BPAC's Mission Statement
The mission of the Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee is to prepare all of our students to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing, technology oriented, and diverse society. We want to ensure that linguistically diverse students have equal status and access to quality education. We will continually strive for excellence in all aspects of the education process and teach our students to understand and appreciate human and cultural diversity. We will use the resources of the entire community, including students, parents, teachers, staff, administrators, and business leaders. We will encourage students to be lifelong learners, to demonstrate high achievement, and to develop the skills and characteristics needed to enjoy happy and successful lives.
- Encourage parental involvement in the education of their children.
- Serve as a liaison between the school district, the parents, and general community.
- Inform parents about the advantages of bilingual and ESL education.
- Participate as volunteers in school, as well as participate in school sponsored events.
- Assist in the organization of workshops for parents and attend workshop sessions pertinent to “Effective Parenting”.
Why it exists
School districts that have Transitional Bilingual Education (TBE) Programs are required to establish a Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee. The committee is comprised of parents of children in the TBE program and other interested community members. Two-thirds of the committee members must be parents of children in the bilingual education program. The committee meets six times a year and participates in the planning, operation, and evaluation of the program. There are four main events during the year. All parents of students in the Bilingual Education Program are invited to become members of the Committee.