Frequently Asked Questions
We are moving to McHenry. What do I need to register my children for school?
- Your child’s original birth certificate with raised seal
- Proof of residency within district boundaries. Acceptable proof of residency includes: a current signed and dated lease, or a signed contract/closing document from a home purchase, utility bill, or a current tax bill.
- Student Health Physical Form – All new students must have a physical form that meets the requirements of the State of Illinois Health Physical Form
- The Illinois Student Transfer Form (ISBE 33-78) is required if your child is transferring from another Illinois School District.
How do I find out what school my child will attend and where do I go to register?
- You should visit our boundary map section of our district website to determine what school your child will attend, or you can call the district office at 779-244-1000.
- After you determine what school your child should attend, please visit the registration section of our website to fill out and print all the registration forms. You will then need to drop off all the forms at your child’s future school along with the required personal documents mentioned earlier. You can also go to your child’s future school with all the required documents mentioned above and they can provide you with a registration packet to fill out.
How do I find information on my child’s school?
- Navigate to the District 15 website. There are links to each of the 6 elementary schools and 2 middle schools from the homepage.
How old does my child have to be to enter kindergarten?
- If your child is 5 years of age on or before September 1, he/she should register for kindergarten for the next school year.
What time does school start and what is the school year calendar?
- Please navigate to the student and school information section under the parent section of the district website to see school calendars, release times, and school supply lists.
Are there other health examinations needed for school?
- All health requirements can be found broken down by grade level in the health services department section of our website.
Will I have online access to my student’s information?
- Upon completion of registration for your student, you will be created a log in and password for our student information system – Skyward Family Access. Access to progress reports, attendance, online yearly registration, and fee payments are a few of the convenient features of Skyward Family Access.
Will my child have bus transportation to school?
- If you live within 1.5 miles from the school you attend, transportation will not be provided unless your address is in a hazardous area determined by the Illinois Department of Transportation or if you have a special education student and their IEP notes transportation is required. Should your child qualify for bus service, bus route information can be found under the transportation section of the website.
How will I know if school is closed for weather related emergencies?
- You will be notified of weather and emergency school closings via the District’s Instant Alert System. This system utilizes voice, text, and email communication to notify families in the event of a closing. School closings are also posted on all district and school websites, social media platforms and through our district app which can be downloaded for free by searching McHenry School District 15 in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
How does the State of Illinois rate my child’s school?
- A link to the State Report Cards can be found on the District 15 website under the Parents tab.
Is before and/or after school care available for my child?
- Information on before/after school care can be found on the YMCA’s website at: https://www.ymcachicago.org/sage/programs/school-age/
Click the file below for a printable version of this information.