Student Safety and Behavior
Most accidents or injuries to students occur when they are boarding or leaving the bus. Students must follow every precaution when entering or leaving the bus. If anything is dropped when getting on or off the bus, the student should not pick it up. The student should let the driver know that something has been dropped so the driver may assist the student. Parents are encouraged to review this rule with their children.
School Bus Safety Regulations
- Be five (5) minutes early at the designated school bus stop.
- Students can only ride to and from home on their own designated bus route.
- Student can only board and get off the bus at their designated bus stop.
- Stay off the roadway at all times while waiting for the bus. Be careful in approaching the place where the bus stops. Do not move toward the bus until the bus comes to a complete stop and the door has opened. If you must cross the street to board or exit the bus, do so only after the bus driver has signaled it is safe to do so.
- After boarding, go immediately to your seat and sit down. When boarding or exiting the bus, move quickly but do not push, crowd, or shove.
- Make room for other students boarding.
- Remain seated while the bus is in motion.
- No teasing, roughhousing, or noisy conduct while on the bus. Unnecessary confusion and noise may divert the bus driver's attention and could result in a serious accident.
- Keep all body parts inside the bus. Do not wave or hang out of the windows. Do not pass or throw anything out of the windows. Windows may be lowered only to their designated, marked height.
- Follow the bus driver's instructions.
- In case of a road emergency, remain in your bus seat until given instructions by your driver.
- Be absolutely quiet when approaching and passing over a railroad grade crossing.
- Treat the school bus and its equipment as you would treat your own belongings. Never tamper with the bus or its parts.
- Assist in keeping the bus interior clean and sanitary at all times. No eating or drinking is allowed while on the school bus.
- No insects, animals, or pets are allowed on the school bus. Glass containers may not be carried on the bus. Large objects like a class project, ice coolers, ect. may not be carried on the bus. The object must be able to sit on the student’s lap.
- Keep the aisles clear. Books, backpacks, coats, band and athletic equipment must not block the aisles.
- Take all your books, lunch, or other articles with you when leaving the bus.
- Do not ask the driver to deviate from the assigned route or to make an unscheduled stop. The driver is not allowed to do so without proper authorization from the office.
- After school, the buses leave at a scheduled time. Students missing the bus will have to make other arrangements to get home as the bus will not return.