About Our Band Program
The Parkland Band Program consists of 140 students who perform in 4 ensembles: 6th Grade Beginning Band, 7th and 8th Grade Concert Band, and Jazz Band.
Students enrolled in band work together to produce at least two major performances each year in addition to participating in concert and jazz band contests, solo and ensemble contest, and other events. Beginning and Concert Bands meets separately each day, and students attend one group lesson each week. Students can participate in the Jazz Band by audition. Jazz Band meets at least once each week after school. Festivals and events outside of regular school concerts that the band has participated in the last 2 years include:
- The Illinois Grade School Music Association District 8 Organizational Contes
- The Illinois Grade School Music Association District 8 Solo and Ensemble Contest
- The Prairie State Middle School Concert Band Festival
- The Hildebrand Music Invitational
- The Thomas Middle School Jazz Jamboree
- The District 15 Celebration of the Arts
- The McHenry High School Middle School Marching Night
- The McHenry Community Band festival
In Beginning Band, students learn the fundamentals of both reading and performing music as a group. In Concert Band, those funamentals are expanded upon and students gain fluency in their musical ability. Concert Band also performs significantly more than beginner band at local and regional events. Jazz Band focuses on the skills and knowledge needed to perform in styles related to swing, rock, and latin music, and also performs at several local and regional events.
Beginning Band students sign up for band at the end of their 5th grade year so they can participate in a summer program and hit the ground running at the start of their sixth grade year. This process is the same whether or not they have received any prior instruction. New seventh and eighth grade students may join with the help of a private instructor. Please feel free to e-mail Mr. Berens at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about joining the band.